Flying A Service was a chain of gas stations that was popular in the United States during the mid-20th century. The company was founded in 1922 by A.L. “Doc” Lewis and operated primarily on the East Coast and in the Midwest.
One of the defining features of Flying A Service stations was their distinctive orange and black color scheme, which was easily recognizable to travelers on the road. The company was known for its high-quality gasoline, which was marketed as “Flying A Super-Service Gasoline.” In addition to gasoline, Flying A Service stations also sold automotive products such as motor oil and tires, as well as snacks and other convenience items.
Flying A Service gas stations were often located along major highways, making them a popular choice for travelers who needed to fill up their tanks or make a pit stop. The company’s slogan, “Fly with Flying A,” became well-known and helped to establish the brand as a trusted and reliable choice for motorists.
In addition to its gas stations, Flying A Service also operated a number of truck stops, which were a popular destination for truck drivers who needed to rest and refuel. These truck stops often featured amenities such as restaurants, showers, and sleeping quarters, making them a convenient and comfortable place for truckers to spend the night.
Over the years, Flying A Service expanded its operations and eventually became one of the largest gas station chains in the country. However, as the industry changed and larger, more modern gas stations emerged, Flying A Service struggled to compete and eventually went out of business in the 1980s.
Despite its demise, Flying A Service remains a nostalgically remembered brand for many people who grew up in the mid-20th century and traveled on the roads of the United States. Its orange and black color scheme and high-quality gasoline will always be remembered as symbols of a bygone era of American motoring.